Skip to main content

The Ratings Farce


I just finished my second procedural essay this week, so I finally have time to write a new entry. I know it’s been a while but I hope to soon move back to a regular schedule. When I was nine years old I went with my older brother’s friend Tom and his mother Kathy to see a double feature. Mission to Mars and Erin Brokovich were both playing, and I was excited to see my first R rated movie. I remember it quite well, hiding my face throughout most of Mission to Mars, terrified of the deaths and the sacrificial suicide, and then laughing and having a good time in Erin Brokovich. That was the first time I decided that the MPAA rating system is nonsense, and I still stand by that today.
Now I do not want to turn this into an article on censorship and ethics, that is a much longer argument that I’m not prepared to enter into. The simple matter is that the way the MPAA rating system works is harmful to movies. Filmmakers such as Darren Aronofsky, John Waters, David Lynch, Kevin Smith and Stanley Kubrick can tell you that they have had to compromise their artistic vision to keep their films from having an NC17 rating (or X before 1990). You might ask, well these directors target audience is already people over 17, so why does the rating matter so much, which is a fair point until the problem of advertising arises. NC17 rated films cannot be advertised on television or most other media, and the majority of movie theatres will not carry these films. This results in millions, possibly tens of millions of potential dollars lost for these films. So the NC17 rating does not only prevent children from seeing the films, but most everyone else as well.
So what makes a movie NC17? You’ve seen virtually every violent scenario played out in R rated movies, usually with gratuitous amounts of nudity. If a film like Hostel can get an R rating, what constitutes the next step? Apparently, pubic hair, female orgasms, gay sex, and straight sex outside of missionary – but not violence. It is also worth noting that independent films are more likely to receive NC17 ratings than studio films. I said earlier I don’t want to turn this into a discussion on censorship, so I’ll leave that judgment up to you, but let’s look at who in charge gets to make the ratings decisions. 
      The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) was established in 1968 to prevent government censorship. The people who rate the films are not experts, child psychologists, or anyone with authority on whether or not a film is dangerous to children. Rather, it is an anonymous group that the MPAA assures are all parents with young children. Sounds almost fair enough, parents should know what’s best for children, except for the fact that everyone has different ideas on how to raise children and a private investigation in 2006 discovered that a handful of the raters don’t have young children or children at all.
This is a much more angry rant than my typical entry, which I usually try to keep informative, but this is something that I think is important to the film world. I would like to see the removal of such censorship that has fascist, homophobic, anti women, and religious overtones, and see it replaced with government censorship – normally I would not want government censorship near anything but the US government has proved in the past that it would be a lot less restrictive than the MPAA – or a new independent rating system not so closely tied to big studios, run by experts and not by parents. I recommend watching the documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated, which, ironically, received an NC17 rating, or any other NC17/X film that you might not otherwise be exposed to, such as Midnight Cowboy, Henry and June, or A Clockwork Orange.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Actor/Director

When I was a kid I used to watch Home Movies on Adult Swim, a show about kids who try to make movies with a hand held camera. I remember the main character, who was the director, saying at one point that he was going to switch roles with his friend and become the actor, because every director wants to act, and every actor wants to direct. Hollywood keeps proving this statement true. Spike Lee regularly appears in his own movies, Tarantino has done it, Kevin Smith wrote Silent Bob for himself, David Lynch acted in Twin Peaks, Martin Scorsese, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Fritz Lang, the list goes on of directors who have appeared in their own films. Then there are those who have had full time jobs as both actors and directors, most notably Orson Welles and Clint Eastwood. Both of them can be studied in either context, and often appear in their own work. But what I’m getting to are the actors, who make it big in Hollywood, and then try their hand at directing. These films are what interest

I Really Miss Roger Ebert

Note: I originally wrote this article in 2011, and in July 2015 accidentally deleted it. When I reinstated it I decided to revise a lot of it. I find that I miss Roger Ebert whenever a great film is released, as I would love to be able to read his thoughts on films like Birdman or Boyhood. I highly recommend the documentary about his life, titled Life Itself.   The film critic – perhaps, in many ways, the most useless job on the planet. Nobody lives or dies, goes hungry or starves, or makes any important life change whatsoever based on the opinion of a film critic. I decided not to go to film school because I could not see myself doing anything important with a film degree. Most audiences pay no attention to these journalists, and often critics are the butt of a joke for poorly rated popular filmmakers. Still I am very grateful for those who have taken up the occupation – I personally read film criticism and, obviously, write it for my own enjoyment. I am a fan of AO Scott, Peter

I Still Don't Like Spielberg

Sorry. Four years ago I wrote an article about my issues with Steven Spielberg, particularly taking aim at Schindler’s List and AI , mostly from the Kubrickian critique I had developed at the time. As time has passed and I have seen hundreds more films to greater contextualise the man and his work, I decided it was time for a re-evaluation of Spielberg on my part. After all, the age of the “coffee table” Hollywood drama seems to be winding down, as studios continue their unfortunate output of sequels, reboots, and superhero franchises. I sometimes pine for the days when Hollywood at least made an effort and created Oscar bait - independent films dominated awards season this year, with American Sniper being the only studio film nominated for Best Picture. So this week I watched four films I had never seen before from Spielberg’s back catalogue, in the hope of being able to soften my stance towards him. With détente declared, I watched Amistad , a film grounded in the little