Skip to main content

The Auteur's Debut


There is one thing that every big name director has in common– they all at one point made their first film. In some cases the directors were experimenting, seeing how they could push cinema to its edges, because they had everything to gain and nothing to lose. David Lynch’s Eraserhead is probably the definitive example. Other times, directors make their debut with something safe and mainstream, such as David Fincher’s Aliens 3. The directorial debut can go on to define their careers, such as Kevin Smith’s Clerks, or these films can be completely forgotten- Stanley Kubrick’s Fear and Desire remains virtually unseen. What makes these films special is that their directors do not have a defined style to fall back on, they are usually not receiving funds from studios, and the director is filling more jobs than they would if they had the resources.
This morning I watched Joel and Ethan Coen’s first feature film, Blood Simple. This was before the Best Picture Oscar for No Country for Old Men, before everyone knew the words to the songs from O Brother, Where Art Thou, before True Grit made over one hundred million dollars in box office returns, this is 1984 – Ronald Reagan was president and two brothers from Minnesota released their first movie with a budget of less than two million dollars. This film laid the groundwork for many of their following films. It is the story of a woman (played by Coen Brothers regular and Joel’s wife Frances McDormand) sexually involved with a colleague of her husband. The husband hires a private detective to kill both his wife and the man she is involved with. The detective double crosses and shoots the husband, although he fails to kill him – debuting two more Coen Brothers’ themes, untrustworthy main characters and botched crimes. Most of the film takes place in a run down bar, which is typical for the Coen Brothers, as several of their subsequent films are anchored in seedy locations. Not everything about Blood Simple is a blueprint for further Coen Brothers' films, however, and in a lot of ways it was quite different from all of their following films. For large sections of the movie there is no dialogue, just long drawn out death/struggle sequences. The silence helps to build the tension in the film, and helps to establish it as the directing duo's single horror film.
Blood Simple is merely an example among many that illustrates the value of analyzing a auteur’s early work. To experience for yourself the budding genius of directorial debuts, check out any of the following films.
Coen Brother’s Blood Simple, Danny Boyle’s Shallow Grave, Kevin Smith’s Clerks, David Lynch’s Eraserhead, Darren Aronofsky’s Pi, Mel Brooks’ The Producers, Christopher Nolan’s Following, Quentin Tarentino’s Reservoir Dogs, Rian Johnson’s Brick, Tim Burton’s Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, Mike Nichols’ Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf, Orson Welles’ Citizen Kane, and Sidney Lumet’s 12 Angry Men.

Following film poster.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Actor/Director

When I was a kid I used to watch Home Movies on Adult Swim, a show about kids who try to make movies with a hand held camera. I remember the main character, who was the director, saying at one point that he was going to switch roles with his friend and become the actor, because every director wants to act, and every actor wants to direct. Hollywood keeps proving this statement true. Spike Lee regularly appears in his own movies, Tarantino has done it, Kevin Smith wrote Silent Bob for himself, David Lynch acted in Twin Peaks, Martin Scorsese, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Fritz Lang, the list goes on of directors who have appeared in their own films. Then there are those who have had full time jobs as both actors and directors, most notably Orson Welles and Clint Eastwood. Both of them can be studied in either context, and often appear in their own work. But what I’m getting to are the actors, who make it big in Hollywood, and then try their hand at directing. These films are what interest

I Really Miss Roger Ebert

Note: I originally wrote this article in 2011, and in July 2015 accidentally deleted it. When I reinstated it I decided to revise a lot of it. I find that I miss Roger Ebert whenever a great film is released, as I would love to be able to read his thoughts on films like Birdman or Boyhood. I highly recommend the documentary about his life, titled Life Itself.   The film critic – perhaps, in many ways, the most useless job on the planet. Nobody lives or dies, goes hungry or starves, or makes any important life change whatsoever based on the opinion of a film critic. I decided not to go to film school because I could not see myself doing anything important with a film degree. Most audiences pay no attention to these journalists, and often critics are the butt of a joke for poorly rated popular filmmakers. Still I am very grateful for those who have taken up the occupation – I personally read film criticism and, obviously, write it for my own enjoyment. I am a fan of AO Scott, Peter

I Still Don't Like Spielberg

Sorry. Four years ago I wrote an article about my issues with Steven Spielberg, particularly taking aim at Schindler’s List and AI , mostly from the Kubrickian critique I had developed at the time. As time has passed and I have seen hundreds more films to greater contextualise the man and his work, I decided it was time for a re-evaluation of Spielberg on my part. After all, the age of the “coffee table” Hollywood drama seems to be winding down, as studios continue their unfortunate output of sequels, reboots, and superhero franchises. I sometimes pine for the days when Hollywood at least made an effort and created Oscar bait - independent films dominated awards season this year, with American Sniper being the only studio film nominated for Best Picture. So this week I watched four films I had never seen before from Spielberg’s back catalogue, in the hope of being able to soften my stance towards him. With dĂ©tente declared, I watched Amistad , a film grounded in the little