Skip to main content

Kirk Douglas, In Memorium

Kirk douglas photo signed.JPG

Seventy years ago America was on the precipice of becoming a full blown police state. 
       Many lived in fear that they might be suspected of having ties to the communist party and be called in front of the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC). If this happened, they would be asked to name other people who might be categorized as subversives. If they refused, as many did, they could expect to lose their jobs and serve some time in prison.
       In 1950 Howard Fast, a novelist, was called in front of HUAC. The committee asked him to for the names of donors to an orphanage Fast had set up, an orphanage for the children of Americans who had fought with the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War. Fast refused, and was sentenced to a few months in prison for contempt of Congress.
      After he was released, Fast wrote Spartacus, a novel about a Thracian slave who leads other slaves to revolt against Rome. It's a loosely veiled critique of HUAC. No publisher wanted anything to do with it, so Fast self published. The novel sold well, and with the contemporaneous success of the Roman epic Ben-Hur, Kirk Douglas decided to turn it into a movie.
      For the script, Douglas hired Dalton Trumbo - who, like Fast, had ties to the Communist party and who had refused to testify in front of HUAC and had spent time in prison for it. Trumbo planned to pen the script under a pseudonym, but Douglas insisted that his real name appear in the credits.
      When Spartacus was first screened in cinemas, the American Legion picketed the movie, calling it un-American. President-Elect Kennedy crossed picket lines to see Spartacus, and by publicly watching it he repudiated the blacklist. Kennedy named Spartacus his favorite film, and would go on to screen it again in the White House movie theater.
     Kirk Douglas publicly rehabilitated the careers of Howard Fast and Dalton Trumbo when doing so was unpopular. He did it because he knew it was right. 
      He went on to make many more movies that asked us to question authority, that reframed ideas of masculinity, and called for us to reject cynicism and to create a better world. Over the years, I have written several articles about his movies - in fact the very first entry I ever wrote for this blog nine years ago began with a quote of his from Paths of Glory. His work, both on and off screen, was informative for how I wanted to carry myself as a grown man
    He made it to 103, but Kirk is now with us no more. QEPD Spartacus, Colonel Dax, Issur Danielovitch... he'll be back, and he'll be millions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Actor/Director

When I was a kid I used to watch Home Movies on Adult Swim, a show about kids who try to make movies with a hand held camera. I remember the main character, who was the director, saying at one point that he was going to switch roles with his friend and become the actor, because every director wants to act, and every actor wants to direct. Hollywood keeps proving this statement true. Spike Lee regularly appears in his own movies, Tarantino has done it, Kevin Smith wrote Silent Bob for himself, David Lynch acted in Twin Peaks, Martin Scorsese, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Fritz Lang, the list goes on of directors who have appeared in their own films. Then there are those who have had full time jobs as both actors and directors, most notably Orson Welles and Clint Eastwood. Both of them can be studied in either context, and often appear in their own work. But what I’m getting to are the actors, who make it big in Hollywood, and then try their hand at directing. These films are what interest

The Life and Works of Terry Gilliam

“When I have the Map, I will be free, and the world will be different, because I have understanding...of digital watches. And soon I shall have understanding of videocassette recorders and car telephones. And when I have understanding of them, I shall have understanding of computers. And when I have understanding of computers, I shall be the Supreme Being! God isn't interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time! Forty-three species of parrot! Nipples for men! Slugs!! He created slugs. They can't hear! They can't speak! They can't operate machinery! I mean, are we not in the hands of a lunatic? If I were creating a world, I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one!” -The personification of evil in Time Bandits Terrence Vance Gilliam was born in Medicine Lake, Minnesota, on November 22 1940. As a child, Gilli

I Really Miss Roger Ebert

Note: I originally wrote this article in 2011, and in July 2015 accidentally deleted it. When I reinstated it I decided to revise a lot of it. I find that I miss Roger Ebert whenever a great film is released, as I would love to be able to read his thoughts on films like Birdman or Boyhood. I highly recommend the documentary about his life, titled Life Itself.   The film critic – perhaps, in many ways, the most useless job on the planet. Nobody lives or dies, goes hungry or starves, or makes any important life change whatsoever based on the opinion of a film critic. I decided not to go to film school because I could not see myself doing anything important with a film degree. Most audiences pay no attention to these journalists, and often critics are the butt of a joke for poorly rated popular filmmakers. Still I am very grateful for those who have taken up the occupation – I personally read film criticism and, obviously, write it for my own enjoyment. I am a fan of AO Scott, Peter