Skip to main content

Unhappily Ever After

Everybody loves a happy ending right? Well, not always. In this postmodern age sometimes writers like to throw us a curveball and give an unhappy ending. It’s a risky move – we have spent the past couple hours getting to know these characters, seeing them struggle, and if they fail in the end, we will probably be leaving the theatre feeling miserable. In Woody Allen’s The Purple Rose of Cairo, Cecilia leaves home believing that she will be out of the Great Depression and living in Hollywood with the star that she loves. Unbeknownst to her, she’s been duped, and will be stuck in New York with her abusive husband. We spend three and a half hours rooting against the Romans in Spartacus, only to watch our hero die on a cross. Many other films – Midnight Cowboy, Chinatown, Brazil, The Empire Strikes Back, to name a few, employ unhappy endings. In most cases, I am a fan of the unhappy ending, but sometimes it just feels tacked on. Any writer can tell you that it’s extremely difficult to write a satisfying ending, and I think in each of the following cases the unhappy ending did not add anything to the story.
 
One of the films I brought with me to Africa was Das Boot, and between this and the last entry it has been giving me plenty of inspiration. It is an amazing film, claustrophobic, thrilling, and the characters are so likeable that we actually end up sympathizing with Nazi soldiers. The version I have is the two hundred minute directors cut, in German with English subtitles. The soldiers spend months in a submarine, facing death countless times, and in the end finally return to Germany. They are now bearded men, hardened and cynical. As the captain gets out of the submarine, allied planes unexpectedly bomb the area, casually killing off most of the characters we just spent the last three and a half hours getting to know. Not everyone will agree, but to me the final scene feels like an afterthought, and a bad one at that.
Very similar to this example is the ending of another great war movie, Apocalypse Now. Like Das Boot, it is a long film with an even longer directors cut. I would also, like Das Boot, call it a masterpiece. In the end of the film, after Kurtz dies (the horror… the horror…) Willard walks out of the chamber, leaves behind everything he has seen, and the audience watches as Kurtz’s base is bombed, without knowing whether or not Willard called for the air strike. Although I love the movie, I hate this ending; I see Kurtz’s character as living beyond the war, beyond good and evil in fact, in his own Garden of Eden, and this ending sort of pushes a reminder to the audiences face that we are watching a war film. If Willard did order the bombing I could understand why he might have, as this place would forever haunt him, but I think it would have been better if he had simply left it, letting the memories follow him forever. If he did not order it, it seems odd that the military would bomb it without waiting for his report.
Finally, I want to give an example of a director deciding to stay away from this type of ending. At the end of Clerks Dante packs up and goes home for the day. However, this wasn’t the original ending Kevin Smith wrote for the movie. If you have the DVD, you can see the alternate ending - at the end of his shift, a man comes in and shoots Dante in the face, killing him instantly. Clerks was Smith’s first movie, and he admits that he wrote this ending because he had no idea how to end it, and that he was convinced by one of his mentors to rewrite the ending. He has said that if he had ended the film in this dark manner he never would have used Jay and Silent Bob again.
I wasn’t even supposed to be here today!
These are all controversial endings, and there are many people who think that these dramatic endings help to tie up the themes of the films - I disagree. Maybe I should have mentioned that this entry would contain spoilers. As none of these movies are especially new or obscure, I do not really feel obliged. A movie is about much more than just what happens in the last five minutes, especially in these cases.

Comments

  1. A book I fondly remember for it's unhappy ending is 'The Genocides' by Thomas M. Disch. I love it when Writers and Directors choose the downer endings - I find that much more gratifying, as these are harder to pull off successfully, and satisfyingly, than the typical happy ending.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Actor/Director

When I was a kid I used to watch Home Movies on Adult Swim, a show about kids who try to make movies with a hand held camera. I remember the main character, who was the director, saying at one point that he was going to switch roles with his friend and become the actor, because every director wants to act, and every actor wants to direct. Hollywood keeps proving this statement true. Spike Lee regularly appears in his own movies, Tarantino has done it, Kevin Smith wrote Silent Bob for himself, David Lynch acted in Twin Peaks, Martin Scorsese, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Fritz Lang, the list goes on of directors who have appeared in their own films. Then there are those who have had full time jobs as both actors and directors, most notably Orson Welles and Clint Eastwood. Both of them can be studied in either context, and often appear in their own work. But what I’m getting to are the actors, who make it big in Hollywood, and then try their hand at directing. These films are what interest

I Really Miss Roger Ebert

Note: I originally wrote this article in 2011, and in July 2015 accidentally deleted it. When I reinstated it I decided to revise a lot of it. I find that I miss Roger Ebert whenever a great film is released, as I would love to be able to read his thoughts on films like Birdman or Boyhood. I highly recommend the documentary about his life, titled Life Itself.   The film critic – perhaps, in many ways, the most useless job on the planet. Nobody lives or dies, goes hungry or starves, or makes any important life change whatsoever based on the opinion of a film critic. I decided not to go to film school because I could not see myself doing anything important with a film degree. Most audiences pay no attention to these journalists, and often critics are the butt of a joke for poorly rated popular filmmakers. Still I am very grateful for those who have taken up the occupation – I personally read film criticism and, obviously, write it for my own enjoyment. I am a fan of AO Scott, Peter

I Still Don't Like Spielberg

Sorry. Four years ago I wrote an article about my issues with Steven Spielberg, particularly taking aim at Schindler’s List and AI , mostly from the Kubrickian critique I had developed at the time. As time has passed and I have seen hundreds more films to greater contextualise the man and his work, I decided it was time for a re-evaluation of Spielberg on my part. After all, the age of the “coffee table” Hollywood drama seems to be winding down, as studios continue their unfortunate output of sequels, reboots, and superhero franchises. I sometimes pine for the days when Hollywood at least made an effort and created Oscar bait - independent films dominated awards season this year, with American Sniper being the only studio film nominated for Best Picture. So this week I watched four films I had never seen before from Spielberg’s back catalogue, in the hope of being able to soften my stance towards him. With détente declared, I watched Amistad , a film grounded in the little