Skip to main content

Music? In my Film Blog?

This is, first and foremost, a film blog, and I intend to keep it that way, but there is something I want to say that isn’t about films, and I need a public forum, and this is all I have. I have been into punk music for years now, and that extended into folk punk. One particular artist, Pat the Bunny, has had my attention for a while now, his bands Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains and Wingnut Dishwashers Union, are my favorite of the genre. Johnny Hobo’s songs will make the listener extremely sad, and Wingnut Dishwashers will make them happy again. His albums will mark anyone willing to listen, and I classify him as a great inspiration. For those who don't know, this blog is named after lyrics from a song posted at the bottom of the page - "And in my dreams, I am dirty broke beautiful and free." In December 2009, Pat went into a year long rehab program for a longstanding drug addiction problem, and when he came out half a year ago he started a new band, Ramshackle Glory.
Ramshackle Glory’s first album, Live The Dream, just came out last week and that is what this article is about. If you have never heard a single Pat the Bunny song, there is a possibility you will like this album, but for everyone else, it is a let down. A huge disappointment. He went from two of the coolest bands to play music in the past five years to generic, boring, and quite frankly bad music with this band. You’d think with a line up of a banjo, mandolin, drummer, piano player, and acoustic guitar that they would be able to put out something really groundbreaking, but despite the eclectic choice of instruments they still play simple, very straightforward music. I think it might actually be the full band that’s holding him back, as all of them are very amateur musicians, and while he isn’t that great either he is better at doing a lot with a little. It might be that he has changed though, the music has a much happier sound to it, and maybe, he’s finally found peace. If so, good for him, but his art is suffering now because he is not. The lyrics, which used to be his strongest point, went from provoking to standard punk rock angst singing about the government, or just rewordings of all of his old songs.

Apparently the dream is an old woman playing volleyball on a human pyramid.


I’ve been waiting for this album since I first heard that Pat was in rehab. He had written on his website that he might not continue to make music after he got out, and there were many of us who hoped heavily that he would. In January he updated his site to tell us that he had a new band, and would be putting out an album later this year. Soon thereafter, he put up two new versions of old Wingnut Dishwashers Union songs, and they were both amazing, but, since they were remakes of older songs, I still didn’t know what to think. I downloaded and played those songs over and over again, remaining hopeful, waiting for the day when the album would leak (I live in England, by the time I completed a money order I’d be back in America). Anyway, I downloaded it a few days ago, and listened to it a number of times, each time hoping that it will grow on me. It is playing as I type this, but, it isn’t really happening. The only good new song is Of Ballets and Barricades, and even that is subpar for his older stuff.
So, if you have never heard of Pat the Bunny, I still highly recommend his first two bands. If you are a big fan, like I know a bunch of my readers are, give it a listen, but I am pretty sure most of you will agree with me, and just go back to putting his old stuff on repeat. Anyway, sorry to everyone who came looking for me to rant about films, I’ll give you that sort of update real soon, this is just something I needed to get off my chest. Until next time, I'll be listening to some more of this:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Actor/Director

When I was a kid I used to watch Home Movies on Adult Swim, a show about kids who try to make movies with a hand held camera. I remember the main character, who was the director, saying at one point that he was going to switch roles with his friend and become the actor, because every director wants to act, and every actor wants to direct. Hollywood keeps proving this statement true. Spike Lee regularly appears in his own movies, Tarantino has done it, Kevin Smith wrote Silent Bob for himself, David Lynch acted in Twin Peaks, Martin Scorsese, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Fritz Lang, the list goes on of directors who have appeared in their own films. Then there are those who have had full time jobs as both actors and directors, most notably Orson Welles and Clint Eastwood. Both of them can be studied in either context, and often appear in their own work. But what I’m getting to are the actors, who make it big in Hollywood, and then try their hand at directing. These films are what interest

I Really Miss Roger Ebert

Note: I originally wrote this article in 2011, and in July 2015 accidentally deleted it. When I reinstated it I decided to revise a lot of it. I find that I miss Roger Ebert whenever a great film is released, as I would love to be able to read his thoughts on films like Birdman or Boyhood. I highly recommend the documentary about his life, titled Life Itself.   The film critic – perhaps, in many ways, the most useless job on the planet. Nobody lives or dies, goes hungry or starves, or makes any important life change whatsoever based on the opinion of a film critic. I decided not to go to film school because I could not see myself doing anything important with a film degree. Most audiences pay no attention to these journalists, and often critics are the butt of a joke for poorly rated popular filmmakers. Still I am very grateful for those who have taken up the occupation – I personally read film criticism and, obviously, write it for my own enjoyment. I am a fan of AO Scott, Peter

I Still Don't Like Spielberg

Sorry. Four years ago I wrote an article about my issues with Steven Spielberg, particularly taking aim at Schindler’s List and AI , mostly from the Kubrickian critique I had developed at the time. As time has passed and I have seen hundreds more films to greater contextualise the man and his work, I decided it was time for a re-evaluation of Spielberg on my part. After all, the age of the “coffee table” Hollywood drama seems to be winding down, as studios continue their unfortunate output of sequels, reboots, and superhero franchises. I sometimes pine for the days when Hollywood at least made an effort and created Oscar bait - independent films dominated awards season this year, with American Sniper being the only studio film nominated for Best Picture. So this week I watched four films I had never seen before from Spielberg’s back catalogue, in the hope of being able to soften my stance towards him. With détente declared, I watched Amistad , a film grounded in the little