Skip to main content

The Book Vs. The Film

How many times have you walked out of a movie, or talked about a movie you’ve recently seen or heard about, and heard someone say - “The book was much better.” Fair enough statement usually, except it is often followed with a phrase like “The books are always better.” I can’t stand that. Why should filmmakers bother adapting literature for the big screen if, in fact, the book will always be superior? Besides the fact that popular book adaptations such as the Harry Potter or Twilight films will gross nine figures regardless of whether or not they are any good, why should anyone bother with anything else? The truth is that the film is often better than the book.
Now I am not arguing which is a superior art. Literature is much more important to intellectual thought than films are, and I would not ever open that statement up to argument. Part of it has to do with the work that’s placed on the reader with books; another part is the rich history of literature, compared to films which are only in their second century. However, there are several easily citable examples of when books have been adapted into far superior films. The most infamous is Mario Puzo’s 1969 crime novel The Godfather. The book was popular and successful; however, no one is making the argument that it was better than Francis Ford Cappolla’s adaptation of it. The film and its sequel usually rank at the top of all greatest film lists, only behind Citizen Kane or Casablanca.


And be honest, how many of these did you know were books?


I might as well officially start giving Stanley Kubrick a featured paragraph in every article I write, because it seems as if everything I write comes back to him. Every one of Kubrick’s films after 1958 has a book attached to it, and it is difficult to argue that the books were better than his movies. Some people prefer the original ending to A Clockwork Orange; personally, I agree with Kubrick over Burgess on this issue, as I think it is unrealistic that Alex would have matured on his own, the way the character had been developed. Stephen King believed whole-heartedly that his novel The Shining was superior to Kubrick’s film, and having read the book and seen the movie I am inclined to disagree with him. I suppose it must be difficult though, to see another storyteller dramatically alter the story you have written. As for the rest, not many people have read Paths of Glory, Spartacus, Red Alert, The Luck of Barry Lyndon, The Short Timers, or Traumnovelle, and with all of these books he made fantastic film adaptations. The only counterargument that I will concede is Vladimir Nabokov’s controversial novel Lolita. Kubrick wanted to adapt the story of Lolita, a thirteen year old nymphite who seduces the middle aged Humbert Humbert, straight to the big screen. Naturally, the MPAA had a problem with this. The book is a symbolic story of the elder European culture’s condescending infatuation with the younger, sexier American culture, but the film was so watered down that you could barely tell that the two are even having their secret romance. Lolita is the one exception in Kubrick’s filmography where the book is better than the film.

Yet again, as I often do, I have strayed away from my original point. In doing so I hope to illustrate that there is no definitive answer to arguments about book / films adaptations, I just wish to inform the reader on the complexities. Film and Literature are different mediums, and that is something that should be remembered before people dismiss one or the other’s version of a story. I recently read John Steinbeck’s East of Eden and saw Elia Kazan’s adaptation of it. Both of these men are considered to be genius in their respective fields, and both tell different versions of the same story. Whereas the book certainly is more epic, at over six hundred pages and spanning sixty years, it is unfair to say that one is simply better than the other. James Dean’s acting brings Cal’s character to life in an incredible way, whereas the character of Cathy is far to complex to be a mere supporting player in a two hour film. It is much better to appreciate them both as separate works of art than compare them in an effort to call one “better”.

Comments

  1. I agree with your point that they are two different mediums and I believe therefore that they should be treated as such, especially with regards to how a story is told. Being a writer myself (unpublished) and also someone who enjoys a film regardless of the merits of the book it was based on, I would never expect anything I write to be transferred to the screen faithfully. I don't believe that that is the point of making a film at all. A film needs to tell its own story as the Director sees it. I really believe a Director is cheating, or compromising their own artistic vision if they pander to the feelings of an author, or how the book tells the story.

    PS. I didn't know Forrest Gump was based on a book, and Mum just informed me that The Graduate was based on a real life event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit my feelings exactly. Sorry I haven't been over on the forums lately, I got a new computer and can't remember my password! I really don't want to make a new account though haha if it ever comes to me I'll be back

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Actor/Director

When I was a kid I used to watch Home Movies on Adult Swim, a show about kids who try to make movies with a hand held camera. I remember the main character, who was the director, saying at one point that he was going to switch roles with his friend and become the actor, because every director wants to act, and every actor wants to direct. Hollywood keeps proving this statement true. Spike Lee regularly appears in his own movies, Tarantino has done it, Kevin Smith wrote Silent Bob for himself, David Lynch acted in Twin Peaks, Martin Scorsese, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Fritz Lang, the list goes on of directors who have appeared in their own films. Then there are those who have had full time jobs as both actors and directors, most notably Orson Welles and Clint Eastwood. Both of them can be studied in either context, and often appear in their own work. But what I’m getting to are the actors, who make it big in Hollywood, and then try their hand at directing. These films are what interest

I Really Miss Roger Ebert

Note: I originally wrote this article in 2011, and in July 2015 accidentally deleted it. When I reinstated it I decided to revise a lot of it. I find that I miss Roger Ebert whenever a great film is released, as I would love to be able to read his thoughts on films like Birdman or Boyhood. I highly recommend the documentary about his life, titled Life Itself.   The film critic – perhaps, in many ways, the most useless job on the planet. Nobody lives or dies, goes hungry or starves, or makes any important life change whatsoever based on the opinion of a film critic. I decided not to go to film school because I could not see myself doing anything important with a film degree. Most audiences pay no attention to these journalists, and often critics are the butt of a joke for poorly rated popular filmmakers. Still I am very grateful for those who have taken up the occupation – I personally read film criticism and, obviously, write it for my own enjoyment. I am a fan of AO Scott, Peter

I Still Don't Like Spielberg

Sorry. Four years ago I wrote an article about my issues with Steven Spielberg, particularly taking aim at Schindler’s List and AI , mostly from the Kubrickian critique I had developed at the time. As time has passed and I have seen hundreds more films to greater contextualise the man and his work, I decided it was time for a re-evaluation of Spielberg on my part. After all, the age of the “coffee table” Hollywood drama seems to be winding down, as studios continue their unfortunate output of sequels, reboots, and superhero franchises. I sometimes pine for the days when Hollywood at least made an effort and created Oscar bait - independent films dominated awards season this year, with American Sniper being the only studio film nominated for Best Picture. So this week I watched four films I had never seen before from Spielberg’s back catalogue, in the hope of being able to soften my stance towards him. With détente declared, I watched Amistad , a film grounded in the little